so if you’re not the “right” kind of black person, you’re an animal.
with black ppl like these, who needs white people?
not to mention that Malcolm X would have been hanging with all the people on the left before he got down with people on the right. and OP wants to talk about history………fuck outta here…….
I still need to know why respectability politics include ignoring what these people do offstage. I might not like a lot of their work, but even I know a lot of poor black NOLA was rebuilt by Cash Money donations. Snoop’s been doing charity work in South Central for years, & last I heard Kim was still funding charities for young girls of color who want to be performers.
Almost everyone on the left has some sort of charity or community outreach program under their belts. It also takes cold hard cash to make a difference inour communities, ya know?
But why are people on the left all musicians and the people on the right all political activists (of some sort)? Like there weren’t musicians in the 1960s and there aren’t political/community activists now?
And none of these people were a monolith. Let’s just ignore all of the BPP’s serious problems with drugs, misogyny and violence within the Black community cause it’s convenient.
Also, minus points for just randomly throwing in Nelson Mandela even though everybody else is American. -_-
Maya Angelou was a sex worker at one point
Malcolm X was an ex con
King cheated on his wife
like wtf is OP’s point
My takeaway is that OP prefers black and white photos of renowned activists in pensive poses over color photos of entertainers pushing energy at the camera. Presumably under this system, a color photo of Malcolm Little in a zoot suit with bright red hair smoking a blunt while hamming it up for the camera would demote him to the lower animals, while a black and white photo of Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr. (aka Snoop Dogg) wearing a dark suit and spectacles stroking his chin with a child in his lap would promote him to a keeper of a people’s memory.
- martin-lumet-kubrick reblogged this from legacy-of-the-true-jetlifa510
- thegreatysl reblogged this from urbanphilly
- legacy-of-the-true-jetlifa510 reblogged this from urbanphilly
- drewj6ft7 likes this
- uknomunroe likes this
- urbanphilly reblogged this from joncthomas
- el-kemet likes this
- passionjuicespot likes this
- hymenh0l0caust likes this
- momentii reblogged this from slimmcharles
- sofibee137 reblogged this from slimmcharles
- rebellookingforacause reblogged this from slimmcharles
- ebonix likes this
- slimmcharles reblogged this from queergiftedblack
- ausetkmt reblogged this from blackhistoryday
- divinehours likes this
- fuckedupbutnotfuckedover reblogged this from queergiftedblack and added:
- n-g-r-latina reblogged this from queergiftedblack
- screwfacecapital likes this
- mo-betta likes this
- the-bicyclette likes this
- apistat-chaekoos reblogged this from queergiftedblack
- betteryetcrazy reblogged this from glitterlion
- sunflowervalentine likes this
- glitterlion reblogged this from queergiftedblack
- queergiftedblack reblogged this from thebigblackwolfe and added:
- puckbox likes this
- karawasoke likes this
- sowulo likes this
- thebigblackwolfe reblogged this from wrcsolace
- wrcsolace reblogged this from zuky
- uhouse likes this
- teamocorazon reblogged this from searchingforknowledge
- twerkjabi likes this
- paintchipsfromthewall likes this
- iamthecarnal reblogged this from wrcsolace and added:
- bludahlia reblogged this from queennubian
- aroundthecockgirl likes this
- 4everash-oh-lay reblogged this from slacker-assassin
- savannahgurrrl likes this
- ashamarley likes this
- eb-n-flow reblogged this from wrcsolace
- mindizmyspear reblogged this from wrcsolace and added:
- curvyurbane reblogged this from queennubian and added:
- thinx-of-a-xicana likes this
- posttragicmulatto reblogged this from wrcsolace
- princessdakara likes this
- whoknowsbuc likes this
- weatherall likes this
- theknightmurders reblogged this from jhameia